Pages

Thursday, January 5, 2012

Back on the Band Wagon!

It's a new year...time to get back on track! Any good New Year's Resolutions? Mine is consistency...I want to stay more on track with cooking, cleaning, and child rearing. So far, so good...of course, we haven't even made it a week yet...hopefully I won't burn out too quickly. My husband asked me where Tansy was the other night. I told him she stayed behind in 2011!

OK, so along with my resolutions, the hubsters wants to lose 25 lbs by the time his grandpa comes to visit in a couple months. So, back to no/low-carb meals. Thank goodness for Pinterest! I just did a search for "low-carb" and there were a ton of yummy-looking ideas to try out. I tried looking up low-carb recipes on AllRecipes, and their search engine for that category was seriously lacking...most of what you get is condiments.

As usual, I get to splurge on Mondays since it is just me and the kids, so we typically have an Italian something with noodles. Also, since Saturdays are usually a bit hectic, and we usually have a ton of leftovers in the fridge, I'm designating Saturdays as leftover day. If we don't have enough leftovers, we can order pizza or go out to eat. Or, if we don't get to something planned during the week, I can make it on Saturday instead.

Here is this week's menu:

Sunday

Black eyed pea gumbo

Buttermilk cornbread

salad


Monday

Pesto chicken Florentine with sun dried tomatoes

salad


Tuesday

Tacos


Wednesday

Greek chicken salad

Dressing


Thursday

Rotisserie chicken

Carrots

potatoes


Friday

Minestrone soup


So far, I've made the gumbo, chicken Florentine, tacos, and Greek chicken salad. The gumbo was OK. I used dried beans that I started soaking the night before and I added creole seasoning to the gumbo. The rice needed more liquid and more cook time, even though I cooked it much longer than it asked for. The chicken Florentine was a good, quick meal. I used jarred Alfredo sauce to make it one step easier. I think it would be really good if I used home made Alfredo and pesto sauces. I think Our Best Bites has a good Alfredo sauce, if I remember correctly....I also used a full bag of spinach and added sun dried tomatoes. Unfortunately, I had to deal with a kid with the stomach flu right as we sat down to eat, so I had to eat mine cold. I bet it would have been really good when it was hot!

Tacos is always an interesting discussion in our house...and it was when I was growing up too. We currently have a German exchange student living with us, and he asked me how my tacos always looked so perfect and the filling never falls out...why, thank you! For starters, you eat tacos from the side, not the top! ;) But, the rest, I believe, is all in the construction. There were quite a few heated debates at the dinner table when I was younger about the proper taco filling order. I still stand by my order: meat, cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, olives, scallions (most folks call them green onions, but they're really scallions...), sour cream, salsa. Really, there is no other way, no matter what other people try to tell you!

We had the Greek chicken salad yesterday. I scaled back the dressing to 10 servings, but then had to make a second batch. I used one batch for marinading the chicken, and the other for us to put on the salad. I used equal vinegar to oil, and I emulsified the oil into the rest of the dressing in the blender. I did add lettuce to the salad to make it more filling. The dressing was good...but I like the Our Best Bites Greek dressing much better. But, for a quick, easy dressing with me having all the ingredients on hand, it wasn't too bad!

The chicken for tonight's dinner is setting up in the fridge right now, and in a little while I'm going to pop it in the oven to roast nice and slow. I have a feeling that my house is going to smell amazing for the rest of the day! Too bad I got the kids' cold, and I can't smell much of anything right now.

Part of my resolution is to plan my menus on Thursdays and shop on Mondays, so I'm not stressing on getting my grocery list together before I go to the grocery store, leaving me plenty of time to shop while the older 2 are in school. So, here is next week's menu:

Sunday

No noodle lasagna (add sliced zucchini, use fresh spinach)

Marinara sauce (double batch)

Garlic bread

salad


Monday

Parmesan Chicken Bake

Spaghetti

salad

(Idea courtesy of Cecily...she said to ignore the bad reviews it got...she loved it! I'm assuming she did some sort of GF breadding for it instead of the croutons.)

Tuesday

Italian Sausages with Ratatouille


Wednesday

Chicken Paprikash

Nokedli

salad


Thursday

Asian lettuce cups


Friday

Cauliflower Crust Pizza


Next week I'll let you know how the foods have turned out!

No comments:

Post a Comment